Re: filmscanners: real value?

> Art ,we all have our own approach to acquiring those items we want,your
> way is a good way foreword,but don't misinterpret what I was endorsing.
> When I purchased my current Flatbed scanner in 1995 (its 7th birthday is
> around the corner)

You obviously did a great deal of research and discovered an unusual
product.  I can think of very few models of anything in the PC
marketplace that have been manufactured for nearly 7 years, even if they
were not superseded by newer product.

Quality certainly has its place, and its cost in high tech markets. The
life cycles most PC peripheral devices are tested for is way below seven
years, today.  Until very recently, however, I was using a HP Laserjet
II, which I am sure HP wished they never made, because it is not only
still a reasonable quality laser printer, but it also lasted for years,
keeping people from considering newer product.

Art

> I wrote down my current and perceived future requirements.
> I found only one scanner that fitted the bill and I bought it.
> within 12 months there was a scanner from another manufacturer  being
> demonstrated ,I checked it out and sure enough it was better than mine
> in many respects.
> But ,7 years on and my scanner works every day,its built like the
> proverbial out house and produces scans which, whilst soft and lacking
> in shadow detail compared with current high end kit,sell.
> I expect to be using it for at least another 5 years.
> Now this suits me as to be fair it was a major investment. Had I paid 10
> percent of its original cost I would be looking for a replacement
> maybe,but only because the magazine reviews and the glossy brochures
> would be seducing me.
> The bottom line for me must be Is it still doing its job properly if the
> answer is yes then there is no need to pension it off.The manufacturer
> is still selling them !!
> best wishes
> Michael Wilkinson. 106 Holyhead Road,Ketley, Telford.Shropshire TF 15 DJ
>   michael@infocus-photography.co.uk      www.infocus-photography.co.uk
> For Trannies and Negs from Digital Files

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.