Re: VueScan Brightness (was:Re: filmscanners: Provia 400F - Actually a pretty fine film! It scans well too)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexander Drunin" <lists@drunin.net>
To: "bjs" <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2001 12:08 AM
Subject: VueScan Brightness (was:Re: filmscanners: Provia 400F - Actually a
pretty fine film! It scans well too)

> b> The excessive contrast (especially in the shadows) is mostly a Vuescan
> b> problem.  The actual slide contrast is OK as far as I'm concerned.
Using a
> b> Brightness value of 1.4 in Vuescan produced a much better match to the
> b> slide.
>
> Have somebody made himself comfortable enough with new brightness setting?
> Properly set, it works fine and doesn't wash colours, but it first _should
> be_ properly set!

Yes.  Although I'm not sure why Vuescan is delivered with a value of 1 that
doesn't work ?  I always need around 1.4 on slides (using Image setting
which works best for me).

> From my recent experience with LS-30, it really requires 1.3-1.5 to
> avoid black shadows in properly exposed slides. 1.0 may do excellent
> work for some negatives but still be too dark for other batches.

Same on the Canon...including a value of 1 generally working best for
negatives.

The new brightness is better than the old gamma/contrast setting.  Works
better...just set to wrong slide defaults AFAICS.

Byron

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.