[filmscanners] Re: Advice on scanner settings

On 26/02/2009 Peter Marquis-Kyle wrote:
> Tony, do you keep your archive files on those HDDs, or do you have CD
> or
> DVD storage as well?

I used to backup to CD, but it's as useless as floppies given today's data
volumes. DVD I don't trust for anything that can't be rewritten from
somewhere else. I used to use tape at one time, but DAT (and DAT drives)
proved less reliable than the HDD's I was backing up. DLT is supposedly
excellent but costly, and by then I hated tape.

I got fed up messing with optical disks, tapes etc and nowadays I just
have the whole lot on RAID3, backed up to HDD, backed up again to HDD and
stored offsite. Lots of redundancy is cheaper and HDD's are easier to
manage  automatically (so backups get done), and easier to store and
restore. I've evolved this over about 5 years and never lost a byte
(except through my own stupidity), despite many HDD failures.

--
Regards

Tony Sleep
http://tonysleep.co.uk