[filmscanners] Re: spam magnet

I try to steer the Mac users I know to open source multi-platform
programs like Thunderbird for email, Firefox for browsing, etc. It makes
it easier to help them. Thunderbird has a simple filtering scheme
(rules). There was a recent hackers event that broke into a Mac Air in
two minutes using flaws in Safari. Since firefox runs on a Mac, why used
closed source software that is poorly tested? At the same conference,
they hacked MS Vista using a flaw in Flash, a program for the life of me
I would never shove down the throats of anyone visiting my website. The
only unhacked machine was running Ubuntu linux.

Since I own a domain, I make email accounts on the fly. I have one
strictly for an email alert service that I never use for email. Yet
somehow once in a blue moon, a bit of spam comes through on it. I have
one for paypal, and it gets the occasional spam. Needless to say the
account used for mailing lists is full of spam. The same with my
personal email account thanks to well meaning people that send me the
occasional e-greeting card.