[filmscanners] Re: spam magnet

On 31/03/2008 halftone@troutcom.com wrote:
> I don't know why my email address shows on the replies I made to this
> board but other people's don't, but the result has been that I am
> being inundated with spam.

The sender's email address appears on every message, not just yours, in
the 'from:' header field. The 'sender:' field is filmscanners@halftone.co.uk

I can strip the 'from:' field from the listmail headers but you will not
know who messages were from without this.

> This address is used *only* for this scanner forum, and the spam
> started immediately after my first reply.

I run the list and spend a lot of time keeping it safe from attempts to
distribute spam through it via 3 separate levels of spam detection. That's
why spam never gets onto the list. The same care is applied to trying to
keep list members' addresses safe. Only registered users can post through
it, and the membership list is not exposed to anyone except me.

Needless to say I have never and will never distribute user addresses to
anyone.

This is located on a server under my desk and is well protected.
Occasional hack attempts have got nowhere.

The only possible explanations I can offer, and which I can do nothing,  are

1. addresses are somehow being harvested from the archive at
http://www.mail-archive.com/filmscanners@halftone.co.uk/

That does not present email addresses in clear, but there is a form for
contacting the poster which includes the username and host as form field
values, ie

<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="/cgi-bin/Nomailto.pl">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="user" VALUE="tonysleep">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="host" VALUE="halftone.co.uk">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="subject" VALUE="[filmscanners] Re: Dust brush
for Polaroid 4000]">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="msgid" VALUE="47C38E55.3030903@halftone.co.uk">