[filmscanners] RE: SS4000 & SCSI under Vista

> This may be an issue how how Vista is marketed in the UK. In the US,
> there is Vista Ultimate, which comes with 64 bit vista.

Ultimate is one of the numerous editions of Vista (it is the top of the line
edition that contains all the components some of which are not included in
the other editions); it, like several other editions of Vista, is available
in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Vista.  This is the case in the U.S.;
and I believe it is the case for the UK as well.  The one edition that is
not available in the US but may be in other areas of the world is the Basic
edition.  I do not believe that either the Basic or Home Editions are
available in 64 bit(they are only available in 32 bit versions); but the
rest of the editions are.

> A few version of 32 bit Vista allow the purchase of the 64 bit edition.

I believe that one can upgrade from one edition to an edition higher on the
food chain at a special case - except for the Basic Edition.  It may also be
possible to upgrade from a 32 bit to a 64 bit version in the same edition at
no extra charge or at a special price; it may be also possible to change
from a 32 bit version of one edition to a 64 bit version of a higher level
edition at a special case.  However, I do not know all the ins and outs of
these kinds of upgrades.

> In my case, I have X64, which I suppose you could call X64 XP.
> Microsoft calls is Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

They call it that because it is Windows XP Professional Edition in the 64
bit version. :-)  Vista also has a Professional Edition in both the 32 bit
and 64 bit versions.