Subject:        Re: [filmscanners] film and scanning vs digital photography
Date:   Mon, 02 Jul 2007 02:25:49 -0700
From:   Arthur Entlich <artistik@shaw.ca>
To:     filmscanners@halftone.co.uk

I find the camera requirements rather laughable, and quite out of date.

I'm not saying you'll go wrong with what they recommend, but the truth
is the same exact Sony chip in the DX-200 is also to be found in the
D-80, the Sony Alpha, the Pentax K10D  (which is also the only camera
using a 32 bit A>D chip) and probably numerous other cameras. I imagine
the camera requirements are to bias toward people who are "serious"
photographers, because the cameras they list are all of the costlier
models.  Notice they don't mention which lenses have to be used...

You see, they can determine which camera was used to shoot an image with
the exif file, but they can't tell the lens necessarily.  Also, with
film, they had no idea which camera was used.  I find this just a bit of
elitism at work because they can.  I wonder if anyone has figured out a
way to rewrite and edit the exif files yet?

As to the scanners... I'm sure it helps them to get better quality
scans, assuming the scans are well done, and most of the scanners
involved are used commercially, so that probably also narrow the scope.

What would be interesting is to "test" Getty's reviewers and see if in a
blind test they could really tell the differences.  I do agree that
using a camera with a larger sensor improves quality and limits noise
considerably, (at least until Kodak's new matrix is worked out), but the
scans and using other cameras with  similar sensors... I doubt they'd
know which was which.

Art