[filmscanners] film and scanning vs digital photography

One of the earlier posts in this thread mentioned that Getty
Images  , a major stock photography company, posted their
camera/scanner requirements on their website.  I went searching
on their website today, and located their standards.  Here are
their requirements for cameras:

If you are shooting on a 35mm digital camera it must an approved
camera from this list: Nikon D200, Nikon D2X, Canon EOS 30D,
Canon EOS 5D, Canon EOS 1D MK 11, Canon EOS 1Ds, Canon EOS 1Ds MK
11. All medium format backs (e.g. backs by Phase One and Leaf
etc) produce sufficiently high quality images to be accepted by us.

Here are their requirements for film scanners:

We only accept digital files from scanned film if they have been
drum scanned by a professional scanning house or scanned using
the approved desk top film scanners from the following list:
Imacon 949, 848, 646, 343; Fuji Lanovia Quattro and Finescan;
Creo Eversmart Supreme 11, Eversmart Select 11, IQsmart 1,2,3

I've never heard of any of these scanners and am somewhat shocked
that not even the high end Nikon scanners are included in the list.
The first one on the list, the Imacon 949 is a $5000 device,
which probably explains why I've ever heard of it.  I didn't
check the prices on the other scanners, but if they are equally
ruinous, then it looks like the cheapest way to take stock
quality photos is to get a digital camera like Nikon's D200
(about $1300), rather than use film plus scanning.  Is it really
true, as Getty's requirements would seem to suggest, that the
Nikon D200 and D2X can produce better images than film plus a
high end Nikon scanner like the SuperCoolscan 5000?  What are the
prices for having photos professionally drum scanned?
Dr. Paul Patton
Life Sciences Building Rm 538A
work: (419)-372-3858
home: (419)-352-5523
Biology Department
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, Ohio 43403

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is
the mysterious.  It is the source of all true art
and science."
-Albert Einstein