[filmscanners] Re: OT: monitors (was Re: Nikon scanner availability)

CCFT stands for cold cathcode fluorescent tube. It's a difficult to
drive (electronically) device if you want long life. There are
integrated circuits to drive them, but the external components are
critical. With poorly engineered drivers, the tubes blacken on one end
then ultimately fail.

The brightness of a fluorescent tube is inversely related to the tube
diameter. [Not sure why.] The CCFT is quite thin, and thus very bright
for low power.

HDTV can do 1920x1080. I consider that enough pixels for photowork.  I
run 1600x1200 on the CRT.

OLED seems to be a dead product. I haven't seen one in years. Sony is
doing a rip off on LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon). This scheme gets
rids of the screen door effect in LCDs by packing the pixels closer
together. However, DLP does that already.

If I had a horse in this race, it would be on DLP.
http://www.dlp.com
Once the LED driven DLP becomes the norm, this will be the winning
technology.