[filmscanners] OT: monitors (was Re: Nikon scanner availability)

At 10:36 PM -0800 2/25/06, lists wrote:

>I used Moniserv in Hayward Ca to get the CRT going again. Most of their
>business is (don't laugh) CCFT replacement in LCD displays. I've never
>seen so many Apple Cinema displays in one place.

I'm curious to know what "CCFT" stands for even though the
rotation/pivot feature now sometimes found with LCDs seems to me so
desirable a feature for photos that I'm not much interested in the
Cinema displays.

>Sony displayed a LCD TV using white leds at the 2004 CES. Samsung
>displayed a DLP TV using RGB leds at the 2005 CES. This is a real break
>through as it will eliminate the color wheel. DLP is good technology.
>I'd be plenty happy with HDTV on the desktop.

My workstation is in a corner in what was meant to be a dining area
between the kitchen and the living room, so I can see my monitor from
both rooms. If the monitor were, in effect, my TV too, I could get
rid of the TV. So I'm also curious to know whether one screen could
likely double as both monitor and TV, w/o any sacrifice in quality,
sometime soon. I've never seen HDTV but suppose it could be better
than TV but still not as good as the better computer monitors.

>Getting back to CCFTs, they really should last a long time if driven
>with care. The with care part separates the men from the boys.

This went over my head. I do tend to pamper my gear, but I don't know
what that would amount to in this case. It has occurred to me to use
a (Photoshop) "palette monitor" for almost everything else too and
reserve an "image monitor" for working with photos and maps.

I'd appreciate any advice about any of this.
--
Sam