[filmscanners] Re: Nikon scanner availability

When was the last time you saw a 8mm movie film to video transfer system
sold retail?  I imagine there are some commercial outfits still offering
video transfer services, but even those are probably disappearing.

What I am getting at is this: Film will become specialty product,
available by special order or through a few minimal manufacturers.
Non-commerical dedicated film scanners will disappear, as flatbeds take
over that market niche.  Even the flatbed market long full of brands and
models has reduced to a handful.

Will the prices on these last dedicated film scanners suddenly
skyrocket?  Not likely.  Did 8mm film cameras skyrocket when video came
out?  Has the cost of 35mm camera bodies skyrocketed as the digital
camera market took over?

Instead, they will sit gathering dust in the corners of retailers until
someone makes an offer.  The used market will flourish for a while, but
only at discounted values.  As you suggest, film scanners aren't
designed to be robust for decades of use.  They will die, and service
and parts will become difficult to come by.  You will find them at
thrift stores and government surplus sales eventually.

What probably will happen, is several commercial labs will offer
reasonably priced scanning services, since they will need to maintain
scanners so when people bring in old film based images for printing,
they can make prints.

The days of demand crunches causing price increases on basically
obsolete products is over.  It almost never occurs anymore, because
people recognize the next generation or product is usually cheaper and
offers more options.  If you honestly believe, for instance, CRT
monitors are going to become pricey as they stop manufacture, I've got
some to sell you ;-)

The only way I could see something like a dedicated film scanner
becoming more valuable is because it became a collector's item, sort of
like a DeLorean car, Maybe someday people will be dragging old XT
computers and film scanners to the "Antique RoadShow", but it may be a
while yet ;-)

Art