[filmscanners] Re: 'Cheap' film scanner recommendations

Dittos on not getting a used scanner. My Artixscan 4000t  has a few
quirks, none of which effect scanning but would make me reluctant to
sell it to anyone. Occasionally it won't scan the 4th slide if I start
the scanning in sequence from 1. If I scan the slides backwards (4 3 2
1), no problem. Sometimes the scanner doesn't recognize the strip versus
slide holder, so it gets the wrong frame count and incorrect spacing
between slides.

I can tell you that Microtek service is quite reasonably priced. I had
hit the slide strip holder with the back of a swivel office chair and it
stopped feeding totally. The repair was maybe $60, and I got a firmware
upgrade thrown in.

The firmware upgrade bring something else to mind, namely these products
are constantly upgraded over time. Almost all the time, the later
release works better. For example, on the x6el flatbed scanner, later
models sound different than my early release. I suspect different
firmware changed how the stepper was run.

Regarding CCFT versus LED, I'm still on the fence regarding the Minolta
5400 II. LED is more stable, but is it diffuse? I'm waiting for more
feedback on the net.