[filmscanners] Re: Archiving???!!!

Mike Johnston addressesd the issue of CD quality just recently. Here is
a link: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-05-09-04.shtml

I have run into the same problem with some data files from work. A
couple of tips, good quality CDs do seem to help. Burn AT LEAST two CDs
and check them to make sure that all files are readable on both, many
times you will find a file unreadable even immediatly after writing. If
you have two readable CDs chances are in a few years, that you will be
able to recover the needed file off of at least one of them. Yes, this
is a royal pain in the ass, but it does seem to be the safest way.
Frankly this is one of the major reasons that I have not moved from film
to digital. Until an affordable and truly reliable way of storing data
is available I remain hesitant to commit all my eggs into one basket. At
least with film I can always rescan if needed.

Jim Couch