[filmscanners] Re: Archiving???!!!

From: "Brad Davis" <DocBradd@mac.com>
Someone must have a solution, must have found way to reduce the losses.  The
only way I can see to reduce my losses is to write everything on my old HP
burner and make multiple copies - perhaps 4 copies each.  That seems a bit
much as it reduces the effective capacity of a CD to about 160 megabytes.

Suggestions?

Years ago when I had to make a decision on archiving, I began to suspect the
same risk with CDs and opted for two external hard drives. I keep one copy of
all files on my system, and have two 200gb firewire drives for backup.  If one
fails, the other can be copied to a replacement drive.  It also means
simplicity, speed, and easy file retrieval.

I had hoped that DVD would provide an alternative but with conflicting
standards, rapid changes in technology, and even greater unreliability, I
passed.  The biggest problem with CDs or DVDs is that you don't know if/when a
file will fail and you must either rewrite everything every two years or so, or
check files one at a time.  Forget it!!- life's too short!

Ed Verkaik