[filmscanners] Re: Revive this list?!

Carlisle Landel wrote:

>This is an *incredibly* good list, because the junk to content ratio is
>vanishingly close to zero.

(snip)

>As far as I've been able to see, if somebody has a
>question, it is answered quickly *and* authoritatively.  If somebody has
>something useful to say, then they say it.  Perfect!

There's one other point that you eluded to in another post, Carlisle, "I
first need to buy myself a big new hard drive to store my scans." - the
issue of archival storage.  This applies to any type to digital imaging,
and it does not consume a great deal of discussion.  It is a topic,
however, that I first read about on this list.  It's still an unresolved
issue and one that this list will watch.  On this list we've seen
storage size addressed from multi-gigabytes, a few years ago to
terabytes today.  That reflects the discussions about dynamic range, bit
depth, and resolution - BIGGER FILES!  The folks on this list knew where
the digital imaging community was headed early on because of the
discussion on this list - thanks to the knowledgeable individuals who
have contributed.  It was also on this list that I first read about a
six megapixel digital camera, several years ago.  Those of us who have
found this list have been expose to the cutting edge of digital imaging
technology because many of its members have been in the business, are
well read, and are more than willing to share their knowledge and
experience.  Thanks to Tony, and to an army of selfless good people,
this list is a class act!

So, if we have a problem, need advice or assistance, there have always
been those on this list that are willing to provide help.  And, as in
the past, we'll find out about advancing digital imaging technologies,
as it emerges, and I expect there will be ongoing discussions about
archival storage.

Keep it going, Tony!

Jim Sims