[filmscanners] Re: Autocropping (Was: Raw files in Vuescan)

I've been dealing with this little problem ever since I first picked up an
LS-20, then upgraded to an LS-4000 w/roll/slide feeders.

Short answer: if you're willing to accept NOT having 100% of scannable area
in your final scan, you can easily set the crop area (for slide at least) to
within a certain parameter and know that the vast majority of your slides
will fit within it and result in no trimming needed.

Doing so for negatives though...that's another story on account of slight
variations in the inter-frame intervals, especially over a selection of 40
frames or so, it can add up.

So I've just become familiar with my post-scan 'crop' tool. :)

Dieder