[filmscanners] Raw files in Vuescan

I am just catching up on the recent exchanges concerning the uses of
scanner versus  Photoshop in making changes to images.These
seem to relate to a problem puzzling me in using Vuescan to produce
raw images.

On a fairly big batch scanning exercise, due to a lack
of consistency in the way the film strips were cut ,I now have a fair
number of scanned images with black &  white areas on the edges (
even when I had settings for "Buffer")

My batch exercise included a raw scan for each image and I am
wondering if the skew in color balance arising from the black & white
areas will also affect my raw scans. ( I think not).

I am hoping that all I need to do is crop out the black & white areas on
the edges of the raw images and then process the resulting image
using either batch or other methods.

I am wondering if my thinking on this is correct.

Thanks

Myles Dryden