[filmscanners] Re: Autocropping (Was: Raw files in Vuescan)

Hi Carlisle,
I haven't worked through the cropping issues with the latest version of
vuescan myself. I'm currently using 8.0.11 (8.0.13 is latest?), which
leaves a small black border at the top (most of the time). It hasn't
interfered with what I'm currently doing, so I've just ignored it.  There
are several options for improving the cropping:
1. Use Nikonscan-I haven't used this for a while, but as I recall it crops
very well. However, this isn't a satisfactory option for me, because
Nikonscan's builtin profiles are not very good.  I create DVD slide shows,
so I need good profiles. Therefore for my work I need vuescan, which lets
you create very good profiles. However, if you don't need to profile your
scans, Nikonscan is a good option.
2. Use vuescan 8.0.4-no way to get this officially. This isn't a good long
term solution, as Ed H. keeps improving vuescan for use with the LS5000.
3. Using vuescan whatever version, uncheck "auto position"; set crop size
to "manual"; and turn "lock aspect ratio" to "off."  Do a preview scan and
crop the picture as you want. Note the x and y offset settings, and x and y
sizes.  Create an ini file using these settings and values.

I would contact Ed H. regarding your cropping problems. He's probably very
tired of hearing from me regarding this issue; but I must say he's been
very responsive so far.
I think he reads messages in the usenet group  comp.periphs.scanners more
than email sent to him directly (edhamrick@aol.com). I usually contact him
both places.
I'll send him a message on this issue myself in day or so.

Ed