[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Color Management

>In case you didn't know... You can speed up VS appreciably by avoiding the
>need for the scanner to make a second pass after the preview scan. Set
>preview to the target resolution (eg 4000ppi), then set 'scan from
>preview'. When you hit 'scan', VS then processes from memory rather than
>scanning the image a second time.
>
>Regards
>
>Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk

Thanks for the tip, Tony. Sounds like a great idea. However, vuescan
doesn't seem to support this work flow well on the LS5000, crashing almost
all the time. I did manage to get a couple of scans done this way. You seem
to save about 1' per scan, which is great, but there was a significant
color shift which would have to be corrected. No big deal, it could save me
a lot of time, if Ed gets this bug fixed.

And Bill, I think you are right, such conversion to profile should be
automated by the action pallete in PS. I tried to convert a raw file my
profile in PS, but the color was way off, colder instead of warmer.  I
opened the file in PS, with color management OFF, and converted to the
profile. I assume that's what you are supposed to do. If I did this right,
I guess it means that Vuescan also makes proprietary "ICC" profiles.

Ed