[filmscanners] the histogram in Nikonscan

My scans undergo basic and usually minor adjustments to black/white point and
the midtones, plus the occasional change in Gain.  I am no techie and do not use
PS for more extensive post-scan manipulation.

Today I was playing around in the Nikonscan Curves histogram and toyed with the
two sliders on the left side. I noticed that on a photo with bright sky and dark
ground, you can move the lower slider up to add light to the ground, more
effectively than bending the curve.  But I do not know what those two sliders do
or should be used for.  Can anyone explain in non-technical terms what effect
(practical examples) using either of those sliders has and when they should be
used over any other methods? Are there risks?  (Please don't tell me to go
master PS... I like using Nikonscan for this.  :-) )

Thanks!

Ed Verkaik