[filmscanners] NikonScan problem

Well, I managed to resurrect my LS-2000--it had some grit on the lead screw
that stopped the flimsy stepper motor in its tracks. I hadn't used it in
over a year, and I also just did a clean reinstallation of Windows 2000 and
the current version of NikonScan from the Nikon web site. My first scans
came out dark, and with a nasty blue cast. I've tried everything--making
sure none of the color controls are enabled, turning dICE on and off,
turning auto-exposure on and off, and so on, yet still things come out blue.

The last two images in http://www.pbase.com/pderocco/test_images show what's
happening. The "Test scan" image is a scan of a particular Kodachrome slide,
with no editing. The "Test slide" image is the same image, with heavy Levels
manipulation to get it to look as close as possible to the slide. So you can
see that all the colors are there--it's not as though the red LED blew
out--but the color balance is waaay off.

I figured, what do I really care how it comes out as long as it's
consistent? After all, I have profiling software, and I can just assign the
appropriate custom-built profile once the image is in Photoshop, to fix
everything. So next, I put in an IT8 target and scanned it. Miracle of
miracles, the scan came out looking almost exactly like the slide. No dark
image, no blue cast. Obviously, the scanner is messing with the image in a
way that will utterly confound any attempt to profile it.

It smells to me like autoexposure is altering the image. Strangely, if I
turn autoexposure off, I get _exactly_ the same image as if I turn
autoexposure on. That sort of suggests to me that autoexposure is happening
even if I tell it not to, due to some software bug, and that that's what's
causing the problem.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this with NikonScan, and found a
solution? Any ideas?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco