[filmscanners] Re: Why DSLR ouput looks sharper?

The Sigma cameras with Foveon chips are getting an anecdotal reputation of
having difficulty with color fidelity.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca>
To: <karlsch@verizon.net>
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 3:20 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Why DSLR ouput looks sharper?

I just took a look at the image you directed me to.  But I didn't stop
there, because without a comparison it doesn't mean a lot.  Is the
defect due to the jpegging, is it the limit of a digital sensor, or the
resolution?  I couldn't tell.  So I went to another digital review site
www.imaging-resource.com, and I used the "Comparometer", and took a look
at the image of the house and the musicians, both which contain numerous
angular lines within them.

I used the Canon D30, since it has a similar resolution, and I was
unable to see anything drastically difference between them in terms of
this particular defect.  I was somewhat surprised by the red/green color
"fringing" on the Sigma, however, but that may have more to do with the
lens, or even the software.

If you can show me an A:B comparison of a camera of similar resolution
that shows this problem clearly, I'm all eyes.

BTW, I am not stating that your are wrong, you may well be correct.  It
is just that without having a comparison of another image technology to
compare it to, I cannot identify that the probelm is unique to the
Foveon chip.

Art