[filmscanners] Re: Why DSLR ouput looks sharper?

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca> wrote:

> The Foveon technology looks interesting, but their current implementation
> doesn't have any diffuser over the sensor, which makes it appear sharper
> than most competitive sensors, but it is prone to aliasing and moire.

I've only seen samples on the web (some full file size) but I seem to
recall seeing more aliasing with the CCD/bayer interpolation pattern
than with the Foveon.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/sd9/samples/IMG00128n.jpg

Look closely at just about any close to horizontal or vertical line, e.g.
the white border around the ONE WAY sign. (Diagonals seem to survive (see
the finer wires) but the fat wires are a jaggy mess (those are jaggies, not
twisted pair cables).) At first glance there seems to be a lot of detail,
but it's all aliasing artifacts.

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan