[filmscanners] Re: NeatImage:

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: NeatImage:
  • From: "" <nick.grasso@hrads.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 18:32:35 -0400

Howard wrote:

>>>I haven't been following this thread from the begining so I appologize
if this has been covered.  I find that when I sharpen my film scans to the
point I like them, in general, I have to back off because I sharpen the
film grain too much, particularly in out of focus areas, even with Velvia
and Provia.  Does NeatImage help much with reducing the sharpening of grain
in scanned images at 4000 ppi?  Do you use it for this before or after
sharpening?<<<

Yes, it does help for me. I usually use Neat Image's built in 'smart'
sharpening which sharpens at the same time it removes the grain. You will
have to experiment with the slider to see how much sharpening you like.
However,  just before I send my final pic to the printer (after Neat Image,
tweaking in Photoshop, etc.) I usually sharpen it a little more in
Photoshop. Sometimes though, after doing all this, I decide that there is
still too much grain, so I run it through NI again. That helps for certain
images.

Nick