[filmscanners] Re: Work flow for Nikon 4000

<pkohl@gol.com> asked: "I am in search of suggestions for going from a
4000 dpi scan to a print size file. I am printing to an Epson 7000 at
360 ppi. The size will be about 20 inches in the long dimension. So,
will I serve myself best by scanning at printer output settings or at
scanner default 4000 dpi."
-------------------------

There is a good mix of knowledge, experience, superstition, and voo-doo
in determining the proper file resolution for inkjet printers. The best
I can figure out, the printer driver will take your file and work its
magic to tell the printer which drops, how big, and where to put them.
If you send the printer 225-300ppi of data (for the output size), you
will get prints of sufficient resolution. Some people say the sending an
even multiple of the native printer resolution is best, and some people
say "the more the merrier". (Some people also never walk under ladders
and some people carry rabbet's-feet.)

In the end, we are dealing with an illusion in getting the final print
to look like we think the file looks. One image may benefit from one
workflow while another may benefit from a very different process,
depending on the image content. For a general rule, I'd scan at the
highest resolution I thought I'd ever need (largest output size at
300ppi). When I wanted smaller images, I'd downsize to the proper
resolution (output size at 300ppi), sharpen appropriately (since the
downsized image will lose some crispness), print the file, and go on to
the next challenge.

Preston Earle
PEarle@triad.rr.com