[filmscanners] Re: Scanner Profiling

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:17:58 -0400, HMSDOC@aol.com wrote:

> [...] making the scan and profile once you have the IT-8 target
> and data file. [...]

As long as you're scanning positives (slides) this will work.  So far,
I haven't heard of IT-8 targets on negative film.  And you'd need a
target for each different type of negative film you use.

> [...] Does one do this once with a target made from any film [...]

For positives, you generally do it once since they all are supposed to
end up directly in the color space in which they're perceived.  It
might be reasonable to do it for each different film type, though, with
the vivid and ultra color films so abundant.

> [...] the film type should not matter as the scanner is seeing the
> color and utilizing a database to translate the color [...]

That's true for positives (slides).

> I am interested in profiling as my scans seem a bit dull to me right
> out of the scanner.

That's easy enough to fix in Photoshop (or other image editor).  The
real usefulness of profiling your devices is when you're trying to get
the image to actually look almost exactly the same on your monitors and
printers.  You'll never get it exact, but you can come close.

TTYL, DougF KG4LMZ