[filmscanners] Scanner Profiling

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Scanner Profiling
  • From: "" <HMSDOC@aol.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:17:58 -0400

I am interested in trying to profile my Polaroid SS4000+ scanner using VueScan,
which now supports making the scan and profile once you have the IT-8 target
and data file.  Does one do this once with a target made from any film (Kodak
Ektachrome targets seem to be particularly abundant from my taking a quick look
around) or 'should' one have a scanner profile for each type of film that is
used and utilize that profile when you scan that particular film type?  When I
sit and think about it it would seem to me that the film type should not matter
as the scanner is seeing the color and utilizing a database to translate the
color to the colors the monitor and/or printer should produce, which if the
data file is accurate, I would think should be independent of film base...but
perhaps I am wrong about that.

I am interested in profiling as my scans seem a bit dull to me right out of the
scanner.

Howard