[filmscanners] Re: color negative/print film advice

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: color negative/print film advice
  • From: "Bruce" <smthopr@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:00:11 -0700

on 7/10/2003 4:00 PM, filmscanners_Digest_owner@halftone.co.uk at
filmscanners_Digest_owner@halftone.co.uk wrote:

> Topic: color negative/print film advice
> ==================================
> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:51:51 -0700
> From: "Sam A. McCandless" <samcc@vom.com>
> I'd appreciate some advice about which color negative/print film(s)
> to use for landscape and nature photos. I'll be scanning it in my
> Polaroid SprintScan 4000 (not Plus). Or in a modest upgrade of my
> SS4000, but not on an Imacon or a Leaf, etc.
>
> I've been scanning Kodak's Supra, because Kodak represented it as
> scanning especially well, on my SS4000. But Kodak seems to have
> discontinued Supra without replacing it. To replace Supra 100, 400
> and 800, Kodak recommends Portra 160VC, Portra 400UC and Portra 800.
> But without making much of a case for any of them.

Sam,
I tried the reala 100 and it seemed like the color balance changed with the
exposure. I also just didn't like the look of the scans (on my nikon8000)
for reasons I can't quite put my finger on.

I've liked the portra films that I've shot and scanned on medium format--but
I haven't tried them in 35mm.

There is also a consumer film called "HD" that is rated at IE400. It might
be the same film as the portra 400

-Bruce

Visit my website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~smthopr