[filmscanners] Re: color negative/print film advice

At 8:28 AM +0200 7/11/03, "Robert55" <robert55@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>[snip] At least in Europe, Kodak merged two lines of film into one:
>Royal and Supra became Royal Supra. It's a very sharp film, lowest
>speed is 200. It scans great. Only problem: you don't see it im many
>shops. [snip]

I think Canada might be getting Royal Supra, Robert, but in the U.S.
we seem not to be. Both Royal Gold and Supra have been discontinued
here, but the hybrid replacement Royal Supra seems not to be
appearing other than, at least at ISO 200, as a "direct import"
stigmatized as "grey market" and identified in the listings where I
shop online (at bhphotovideo) by the "WUSA" code. Supra 400 and 800
are similarly listed, but I assume maybe just until those stocks are
depleted.

WUSA film, at least as long as B&H is the importer, doesn't seem to
me to be very risky, but I would like to have an ISO-100 film, as
well as the faster films. Of course, there is still Kodak Gold 100,
at least in the 12- and 24-exposure rolls. But no one has recommended
it to me.

Is anyone using Fujicolor Superia at ISO-100 successfully? It does
seem to me a strategic advantage that Superia is available at so many
speeds: 100, 200, 400, 800, and even 1600.

I guess we might hope that the new Kodak High Definition (HD) film
already available in 35mm at ISO 400 will both be a success and
become available at other speeds too. Has anyone tried it yet?

Thanks again.

Sam