[filmscanners] RE: scanner dmax discussion

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: scanner dmax discussion
  • From: "" <robg@wordweb.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:42:27 +1000

"Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com> wrote:
> Actually, I haven't heard of any that do it that way.
> All you have to do is change the exposure time to do
> this. I do believe that one claims to have "analog gain",
> but that is not really analog gain as far as any electronics
> between the CCD and the A/D are concerned, I believe
> it changes either intensity of the illumination, or
> simply exposure time...I don't remember which.

The Nikon scanners' "analog gain" varies the scanner integration time, not
the illumination.  So although it helps to pring up some dense detail, it
is still severely limited by the relatively low intensity of the LEDs.

I thought the Leaf scanner or some such did have some sort of true analog
gain?

Rob