[filmscanners] RE: Digi, film and scanning in movies

> Since you just want to be "right" I'm not going to continue
> this discussion.  If you read my comments fully, you see that
> I concede that the Foveon chip in its current format, is
> probably best suited to mid-level consumer cameras, which, by
> the way, are exactly the ones which this thread started
> about, (The Canon G3).  Frank Paris was expressing his
> displeasure with the G3 and it's lack of full color gradients
> in small things like tree branches which led to a flat look
> rather than the rounded nature of the branch which was
> depicted on film.

But when I explained that I was shooting at ISO 100, someone (I don't
keep track of who said what) pointed out that this camera is only good
for ISO 50, so I went out Wednesday into Mt. Hood's east side Noble Fir
forest and shot at ISO 50 on a tripod. The difference between ISO 50 and
ISO 100 really surprised me. At ISO 50, the color gamut is no longer
obviously deficient and the camera produced much more pleasing photos
and 8x10 prints and I have no complaints about the results at that ISO.
(The fact that in the field you can't even pull the camera out of a case
without inadvertently pressing 50 different buttons and sometimes even
turning the camera on inadvertently is another problem that has nothing
to do with image quality except it can ruin all your settings.)

Frank Paris
frankparis@comcast.net