[filmscanners] Re: Digi, film and scanning in movies

Yes, we obviously live on very different planets.

The Sigma with the Foveon chip shows much more balanced noise between
the channels, and considerably less in the red and blue channels from
what I see from the very page you sent me to.  Further, Sigma/Foveon
released some new firmware which further reduces the red noise, while
improving the "sharpness" of the image.  The write up is below:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0305/03051402sigmasd9fw.asp

Since you just want to be "right" I'm not going to continue this
discussion.  If you read my comments fully, you see that I concede that
the Foveon chip in its current format, is probably best suited to
mid-level consumer cameras, which, by the way, are exactly the ones
which this thread started about, (The Canon G3).  Frank Paris was
expressing his displeasure with the G3 and it's lack of full color
gradients in small things like tree branches which led to a flat look
rather than the rounded nature of the branch which was depicted on film.

I stated that this may well be the result of the limited color
resolution provided by that camera in spite of its 4 MP image sensor,
and the fact that the G3 is considered one of the better consumer
cameras out there.  I believe one reason for this problem is the Bayer
filter pattern.

Yes, decent Bayer interpolation cameras are appearing in the lower price
ranges now, but it took years to get it there.  WHo knows what the next
generation of Foveon color sensors will look like or cost.

On the consumer digicam end, I still believe the Foveon chip will prove
to have advantages not easily corrected in lower priced Bayer systems.

Art