[filmscanners] RE: Digi, film and scanning in movies

> From: Arthur Entlich
>
> Side by side reviews I have seen do not indicate noise is a major
> problem with the Sigma.  There did appear to be some software/firmware
> code problems, however.  Considering this is the first real
> implementation of an otherwise new technology challenging a fairly
> mature technology, I still believe it holds tremendous potential and
> should other companies take on the chip design, some very interesting
> product may come of it.  I still really like the concept, and hope it
> flourishes, at some future date.

I agree. At this point, we're comparing the fairly primitive Rev 0 Foveon
chip against CCDs and CMOS sensors that have gone through over five years of
refinement. We won't really know the limitations of the Foveon technology
until they've had a few more years to work on it.

> I am not impressed with most Bayer interpolation based image capture
> systems, although once it gets into the 6 or more megapixel rate, the
> results are pretty decent.

I agree again. I've got the Canon 10D (6.3Mp), and I've examined the pixels
along contrasty B&W edges very carefully. I'm really impressed by the
interpolation algorithm used inside the camera. Indeed, my preliminary view
is that it does a better job of avoiding color artifacts than the Adobe
Camera Raw plugin (which I've hacked to work with the 10D).

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco