[filmscanners] Re: Digi, film and scanning in movies

From: "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca>

Side by side reviews I have seen do not indicate noise is a major
problem with the Sigma.
<<<<<<<<<<<

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd9/page15.asp

Slightly worse than the D60, but the 10D improves significantly on the D60.
10D luminance channel noise is one whole f stop lower. But yes, the SD9
problems at higher ISO are artifacting, not noise, and may be
implementation, not sensor, problems.

  There did appear to be some software/firmware
code problems, however.  Considering this is the first real
implementation of an otherwise new technology challenging a fairly
mature technology, I still believe it holds tremendous potential and
should other companies take on the chip design, some very interesting
product may come of it.  I still really like the concept, and hope it
flourishes, at some future date.
<<<<<<<<<<<

Again, it doesn't solve a real problem. When I was deciding whether or not
to blow serious money on a film scanner, the downloaded D60 shots I looked
at made 645 scanned with the Epson 2450 look sick. That's _seriously_
impressive for a lousy 6MP.

I am not impressed with most Bayer interpolation based image capture
systems, although once it gets into the 6 or more megapixel rate, the
results are pretty decent.
<<<<<<<<<<

Are we on different planets? The Bayer cameras (especially the 10D, but even
the consumer ones at their lowest ISO setting) seem flipping amazing to me.
Much better images than film can even dream of on either a per-scanned-pixel
or a per-area basis, e.g., the 10D is 1/2.56 the area of a 35mm frame, but
only slightly worse image quality of a full-frame film Provia 100F image,
but vastly better at ISO 800 than anything 35mm film in a color negative
material ISO 200 or over.

What more could one possibly want than a full-frame sensor with 16 million
10D pixels???

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan