[filmscanners] Re: Filmscanners - is this about as good as itgets?

It shouldn't.  The concept of the 18% gray content is based upon an
"average daylight scene".  It isn't really the color that is the issue,
(as it is in color balancing) but the overall density of the scene.  The
idea is that if you were to use a massively diffusing filter, most
outdoor daylight scenes would result in being 18% density.  I suspect
digital camera metering designs accept the same principal.  It's what's
"out" there that is 18% gray, the camera metering is just using that
"fact" to make an assumption about exposure.

Art