[filmscanners] Re: Filmscanners - is this about as good asitgets?

> >I was surprised, Ramesh, to see in a recent issue of "Popular
> >Photography", in an editor's response to a letter to the editor:
>
> >"... However, many digital cameras now offer color accuracy that is
> >better than any film we've tested. ..."
>I think it should "scanner output" instead of "film".
>
>This makes me think about %18Gray.
>"...camera assumes that object is %18 gray.." theory applicable to camera
>metering
>system. Does media need to be film for this theory to be true?
>           Does this theory change in DSLR?

This is to do with the "automatic exposure" or "exposure metering". If you
look at an AVERAGE picture, the overall image would be about 18% gray if it
was a B&W image (at least, that's the theory). With modern cameras, there
is multiple sensors that sense different areas, and try to figure out
"what's going on", so that for instance if you're taking a picture of a
snowy landscape, it compensates somewhat for the fact that the whole thing
is very bright. It will not do this perfectly, but it will help a little
bit to get a "better" exposure.

This theory is used for all cameras that have auto-exposure, and in most
cases it will create a nice image, but there are of course exceptions...
Your crisp white snow looks grey, for instance... Or black tyres look dark
grey...  A skilled photographer would change the settings to compensate and
make sure the whites or blacks come out as they should.

--
Mats