[filmscanners] RE: how to scan 'red' 'green' or 'blue' lights?

> From: Doug Franklin
>
> Well, in my case, the reds on the minilab prints look normal.  The reds
> in the scans are over the top.  Therefore they're awfully strong on the
> monitor and the digital prints, too, since they're made from the scan.

Oh, you were talking about minilab prints made directly from the negs. I
missed that.

When you say the colors are "over the top" do you mean that they're too
bright, or too saturated? If they're too bright, and the scanner is
clipping, they'll actually wind up undersaturated, because once the red
channel reaches its limit, any further increase in brightness will only
bring up the residual green and blue. If you're using Photoshop, it would be
worth seeing if the red value is pinned at 255. If so, you might try
rescanning while turning down the exposure in the scanner software, and then
using Photoshop's Levels control to bring back the overall brightness
without clipping off the top.

If the colors are oversaturated, but not clipped, then all I can imagine is
that the scanner's negative to positive conversion just isn't very accurate.
My limited experience scanning negs is that the results aren't as good as
with slides. If you're using Nikon's software, you might get better results
with someone else's, like Vuescan. Or you might get better results if you
get some profiling software, and a standard target, and making your own
profile.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco