[filmscanners] RE: Re:Colour negatives, Vuescan, and an ICC worflow

Tony writes ...

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 05:48:50PM +1100, Rob Geraghty wrote:
> >
> > Ed has created his own profiles of the scanners AFAIK.
> >

> Is the manufacturing process of a particular model of a
> scanner that consistent? Is a device profile created for
> one scanner capable of accurately representing all
> examples of that model scanner sold?

  For what it's worth, the scanners are apparently consistent to the degree
Nikon only supplies one device profile for all LS-4000 scanners.

  You may also note, the scanner profiles supplied by Nikon are relatively
large files, meaning they are CLUT-type device profiles.  Although Ed
Hamrich is fairly hushed about his device profiles (which are built into
Vuescan), they are apparently matrix-type profiles ... which more
appropriately might be called "color spaces", similar to the editing color
spaces provided by Photoshop.  As such, Ed's device spaces may not be as
accurate, but I do find them to be representative of the scanner ... that
is, you should be getting accurate color and gamuts (debatably) as large as
EktaspaceRGB (my scanner is a LS-2000).

  I also noticed a difference between Nikonscan applying its device space,
and Vuescan doing the same.  With Ns, I noticed posterization ... sometimes
in skintones, mostly in shadows.  With Vs, I don't see the same.  You might
want to try playing with your LS-4000 in this regard.

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com (in progress)