[filmscanners] Re: My best scanner/film combinations

Slide films are designed for projection in darkened rooms with bright
light sources.  As such, they have a very deep shadow area so they don't
look weak when projected to a screen.  As a result, the shadow regions
are quite dense and difficult for CCDs to pick up the low end of this
information without introducing noise.

So, this is an area which is difficult for scanners.  Unfortunately,
negatives films have their own set of scanning problems, such as more
distinct grain patterns, and needing to guess at the color rendition.

If shadow information is very important to your type of composition,
look for a scanner with low noise and good shadow response.  Good
examples are the Microtek 4000TF and Polaroid SS4000+.

Art