[filmscanners] RE: My best scanner/film combinations

Hi all,
I have tried both negative and slide film in my LS4000.  In general, I feel
that slide film scans with better results, and less correction required in
PS.  I may actually have examples of Fuji Supria and Fuji Sensia of the same
subject, but it will take some time to find.  If/when I have time, I'll make
them available.

I've scanned Kodak Ektachrome, Fuji Sensia and Fuji Provia 100F, though not
of the same subject and/or the same day.  I've been happiest with the Provia
as the grain is much smaller than either the Sensia or Ektachrome.  In order
of preference:
1. Provia 100F
2. Sensia 100
3. Ektrachrome

I have not shot Fuji Velvia or any of Kodak's professional slides, so I can
not comment on them.

I also agree that negative film gives you more stops or greater range, but
now you're really talking about the quality of the initial image, not the
scan.  I contend that the use of graduated natural density filters and
careful attention to metering will improve your slides, and hence your
scans.  Indeed, I still prefer the look of a well exposed slide to most any
print film.  But, and this is heavily dependent on preference, I like bold,
bright colors and high contrast.  Print film just won't get you there.

As someone has mentioned, slides are easier to store and look at as well.  I
use 3-ring binders to hold my slides.  My prints are all over the place in
boxes and envelopes.  (Hence the reason it will take me some time to find an
example to scan.)  But that has nothing to do with scan quality.

Has anyone found a favorite B&W film to scan?  I was shooting Kodak T-Max
and pretty unhappy with the results, but at the time my scanner had some
internal problems.  I've since shot Kodak Tri-X and as expected, it much
more grainy than the T-Max.  Again when I have time, I'll rescan the T-Max
and see how it goes.

Regards,
Jeff