From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of Julian Robinson
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 8:28 PM
To: cdober@ev1.net
Subject: [filmscanners] How to label CD backups

Does anyone have an evidence-based idea of what is allowable and what is
not when it comes to labelling CDs used for backing up my images?

Generally stick-on labels are frowned upon for long term storage, and
also tends to take too long. This leaves writing on the CD with a pen.

The information I have found is contradictory - see below - some saying
water-based felt pen, others oil based, or to use alcohol based but not
solvent based...  What is alcohol of it is not a solvent?

I have not found any pens specifically for the purpose here, and I do
want to write on more than the center clear area.  Everyone agrees you
should only use felt-tipped, but WHICH felt-tipped?

Any ideas?

Julian