[filmscanners] How to label CD backups

Does anyone have an evidence-based idea of what is allowable and what is
not when it comes to labelling CDs used for backing up my images?

Generally stick-on labels are frowned upon for long term storage, and also
tends to take too long. This leaves writing on the CD with a pen.

The information I have found is contradictory - see below - some saying
water-based felt pen, others oil based, or to use alcohol based but not
solvent based...  What is alcohol of it is not a solvent?

I have not found any pens specifically for the purpose here, and I do want
to write on more than the center clear area.  Everyone agrees you should
only use felt-tipped, but WHICH felt-tipped?

Any ideas?

Julian

http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
A perfectionst such as found at Media Sciences will tell you that you
should only write on the clear, inner ring of a disc; that any inscription
on the working surface increases error rate. No doubt, they're correct.

Pens
By now, this is easy, right? You want a soft-tipped pen with water-soluble
ink for complete safety. The TDK version is available from several
suppliers of bulk discs for about $3; Apogee has another at a similar
price. An art supply store can probably provide you with a range of
altenatives in various colors and line widths.

--
http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq07.html#S7-7
3. When writing titles and other information on the label (gold) side of

[...]"

Other brands say "use a permanent felt-tipped pen" or words to the effect
that the ink shouldn't smudge. ...
There are pens recommended specifically for writing on CD-Rs. Examples
include the Dixon Ticonderoga "Redi Sharp Plus", the Sanford "Powermark",
TDK "CD Writer", and Smart and Friendly "CD Speed Marker". Some of these
are relabeled Staedtler Lumocolor transparency markers (#317-9), which are
alcohol-based. Never use a solvent-based "permanent" marker on a CD-R -- it
can eat through the lacquer coat and destroy the disc.