[filmscanners] Bugbear virus

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Bugbear virus
  • From: "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 17:20:07 -0700

I normally do not announce matters regarding viruses to lists, but since
I have now received about 6 infected messages (none from this list, BTW,
but from people on this list who have my email address in some folder or
address list) I thought I would mention it.

It is the newest nasty, and is spreading like wildfire.  If you are
running E.I or Outlook version 5.5 or below, it is vulnerable to this
virus.  This security issue was repaired in 6.0 and above.

The virus can shut down your firewall and virus protection without you
knowing it.  It also can send random emails within your storage to other
people.  I actually received someone's banking information that was from
an email from a year ago to one of this person's clients.

The virus sends out message from address books which contain an old
email plus a 50KB attachment in MIME format which is often not visible
on your email browser. (They don't show up on Netscape 6.2, for instance).

If you have not updated your virus definitions, or don't have a virus
protection system running, make sure you have updated your I.E. to at
least version 6.0.

To check your system for the virus download the free remover at Symantec at:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.bugbear@mm.removal.tool.html

You will probably need to cut and paste that address for it to work, as
it has to be in one line.

Art