[filmscanners] Re: CD RW Problem

I don't believe anyone is using sputtered gold anymore, it simply is
just too costly, and very few people would be willing to pay for it.

There are probably three issues with CD-Rs, and I would place them in
this order: (assuming general QC was done during manufacturing to begin
with -- I've seen some CD-Rs that were so poorly manufactured that I
don't care what the materials are).

1) the permanence/stability of the dye used

2) the stability of the reflective layer

3) the chemical and physical stability of the coating lacquer

Art