[filmscanners] Re: Note to pre-1999 VueSmart purchasers of VueScan

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 01:36:41 +0100  Tony Terlecki (ajt@mrps.demon.co.uk)
wrote:

> I thought I was going mad last week trying to change the image size and
> dpi -
> exactly the problem you describe - changed aspect ratio. I thought it was
> somthing I was doing wrong but know I know!

A sod, isn't it!  I frequently scan at 4000ppi, then have to produce
8 x  5.38" @300ppi for press distribution. No problem with landscape shots,
but do it wrong and portrait format end up 5.047 x 8"!

The workaround is, when resizing to a target DPI using the height dimension
(instead of width) *always* change the DPI, BEFORE changing the height. Or
else.

This doesn't apply when altering width, you can do it the more natural way
around.

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk
Online portfolio & exhibit + film scanner info & comparisons