[filmscanners] RE: over resolving scans

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: over resolving scans
  • From: "Joe Pedit" <pedit@email.unc.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 07:06:53 -0400

I've attempted to characterize grain (grain aliasing?) for my Sprintscan 4000
and a few films
including Provia and Tech Pan.  I generated semivariograms for the red, blue
and green channels
of Tech Pan (9 minutes in D76), Provia 100F, Supra 400, and Royal Gold 1000.
The results for
each channel are at:

<http://www.unc.edu/~pedit/red.gif>
<http://www.unc.edu/~pedit/blue.gif>
<http://www.unc.edu/~pedit/green.gif>

The y axis is the semivariance and the x axis is the lag measured in pixels.
In general, the
sills increase as expected (i.e., Provia 100F < Tech Pan < Supra 400 < Royal
Gold 1000).  It is
difficult to analyze the spatial component of grain (grain aliasing?) in the
semivariograms due
to the vastly different sills.  I normalized the data by the sills so the
spatial trends are
more easily seen.  The results are at:

<http://www.unc.edu/~pedit/red_normalized.gif>
<http://www.unc.edu/~pedit/blue_normalized.gif>
<http://www.unc.edu/~pedit/green_normalized.gif>

In general, Provia 100F needs the largest lag (3 to 4 pixels) to reach its
terminal sill value
even though it has the largest normalized semivariance at a lag of one pixel.
The negative
films reach their sills within 2 to 3 pixels.

It would be interesting to repeat this analysis with scans from lower and
higher resolution
scanners to quantify the effect of scanner resolution on aliasing.

Information on semivariograms is at:
<http://w3eos.whoi.edu/12.747/notes/lect05/l05s03.html#variograms>

Joe Pedit