[filmscanners] Re: over resolving scans

Preston writes:

> Isn't scanning resolution more a question of
> image and print size than it is of image
> quality?

Yes, but the difference in quality occasionally shows.  Scanners never quite
achieve their optical resolution in practice, although they can come very
close, and so a 6000-dpi scan downsampled to the equivalent of 2800-dpi will
usually look better than a straight 2800-dpi scan, all else being equal.

> ... if I'm not going to print larger than 12"x18",
> why scan for higher resolution?

Because it saves you a scan if you ever need the higher resolution.  If you
are _certain_ that you'll never need more, than scanning at a higher
resolution might not buy you much.