[filmscanners] RE: over resolving scans

George,

> The example I chose is not - repeat not - where compensation
> development was
> used.  Normal development was followed by intensification.
> Adams describes
> this as N+1 (or normal plus 1) development.  The intensification is more
> pronounced for the higher densities.  (See page 250 of Adams' book 'The
> Negative')

I'm not quite sure how that is valid for this discussion.  The FILM by it
self, as shown in the chart you reference, without any "intensification"
reaches a density of 2.1.  Of course, you could paint the film pure black,
then measure it, and it would be higher than 2.1...but really, no one was
talking about "treated" films.  That certainly isn't the norm, and why on
earth would anyone do that anyway, when they were going to scan the film?

> In this particular test of Plus-X Professional 4 X 5 the characteristic
> curve from Zone 0 to Zone XII is displayed: it is clear that the curve -
> fairly linear at this point - is capable of still further
> densities, though
> it is doubtful if they would be printable.

Why do you conclude that?  I don't.  It IS possible, but you are making an
assumption, that certainly isn't stated in his text!

> I have no intention in arousing arid disagreement, I simply want to point
> out that you were in error.  It is possible you know!

Of course I can be wrong, but not in this case.  Read the initial discussion
(Tri-X) and the ensuing comments.  My comments still stand.  2 is about the
max density range you're going to get from Tri-X (or Plus-X) under normal
circumstances.

Austin