[filmscanners] Re: Help with purchasing decision?

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Help with purchasing decision?
  • From: "Michael O'Connor" <omichael@optonline.net>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 02:25:00 -0400

Thanks Erik, Maris, and particularly Arthur, for your help.

Imaging Resource is a great site for helping to make a decision, and it
is the site that convinced me earlier that I'd prefer the Polaroid SS to
Nikon offerings.

The archives of this list were also very helpful, and will continue to
be I'm sure.

Arthur, the depth of your response was extremely on point and really
helped me come to a decision.

For some reason I'd feel better buying the Polaroid, but even if I can
actually still find one, the fact that its now discontinued doesn't bode
well for any future OS X compatible software/driver upgrades, so I'm
going with the Microtek Artixscan 4000tf and crossing my fingers that
the apparent low noise of Polaroid models is also true for the Microtek,
I'll be sure to post something some weeks down the road when I've
received the unit and had a chance to put it through its paces.

This list is certainly a find. Even its discussions on what the meaning
of is is are fun, its awfully easy to get tripped up when the same word
has different refernces (resolution) and similar sounding terms (density
range/dynamic range, dpi/ppi/spi) get mixed up by everyone at some point
or another; its good to know someone cares.

Michael O