[filmscanners] Re: Vuescan problem

"Ken Durling" <kdurling@earthlink.net> asks:

What is happenhing is that Vuescan is regularly "crashing" - not in
the true sense but what happens - and I'm pretty sure it's always
right after a crop frame size change, - is that the image will go
completely "dotty."  If it's a color image the image are will be black
and there'll be a frame around it with all sort of random pixels.
Looking at the histogram there will be one spike for each of R, G and
B.   If it's a B&W image I'll get something that looks like a very
broken-up 1-bit B&W image.
<<<<<<<<<

I think I used to see something like that with the 2450. My conclusion was
that it was getting confused about the scan/crop areas and completely losing
it on exposure calculation. The nasty was that it saved it's trashed state
in it's .ini file. I persuaded myself that it happened less often if I
adjusted the crop box very slowly, always waiting for it to finish redrawing
before doing anything and never making any sudden mouse moves. (Brother, a
cat that gets a heart attack every time a mouse jumps. Really useful, not.)

I think that you can get around it by deleting the .ini file. (Irritiating,
since you lose all your settings. If you save your settings, an older .ini
file usually works.)

Give that a try and see if it helps.

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com